Monday, March 15, 2010

Zach's Story

Zach
Age 10
Motor Vehicle Accident

Inland Northwest Health Services

“Tell them to save my legs so that I can play and run and ride my bike.” Those were the last words Zach said to his father before being rushed off to the hospital. Zach had been riding his scooter when he stopped briefly. At that moment a dump truck was reversing and struck Zach. The driver, not realizing he hit anything, put the truck in drive, accidentally striking Zach a second time.

Zach sustained multiple pelvic fractures, significant internal bleeding, a foot laceration, a rib fracture, and a laceration to his kidney that required it to be removed. He faced a nearly unbearable recovery remaining immobile for eight weeks. Though eight weeks seemed like forever for an active 10-year-old, Zach overcame his incredible medical challenges in a relatively short period of time. If you saw him today you’d never suspect he was involved in such a traumatic accident.

Now that Zach has graduated from physical therapy he has pushed on to be a “normal” 10-year-old boy. He plays soccer everyday at school, he excels at his studies, and his imagination continues to spill creativity into the form of comic strips, cartoon characters and short stories.

1 comment:

  1. Hi this Zach. I am looking forward to meeting all of you in Washington DC. I am getting better now, but I still have a few problems. I hope all of you are getting better too and I will see you in June.

    ReplyDelete